Looking for a healthy and delicious meal option? Look no further than the 4 oz chicken breast! This versatile and lean protein source is perfect for those looking to up their protein intake while also keeping an eye on their calorie intake. Whether you’re grilling, baking, or sautéing, a 4 oz chicken breast is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
A 4 oz chicken breast is a serving size of chicken breast that weighs approximately 4 ounces. It is a lean protein source that is low in fat and calories, making it a popular choice for those looking to maintain a healthy diet.
Chicken breast is a versatile ingredient that can be cooked in a variety of ways, such as grilling, baking, sautéing, and more. It is a good source of essential nutrients such as protein, B vitamins, and minerals like phosphorus and selenium.
Consuming 4 oz chicken breast can help in muscle building, weight loss, and maintaining good heart health. It can be served as a main course with side dishes or added to salads, sandwiches, and soups for added protein.
How to cook 4 oz chicken breast
There are many ways to cook a 4 oz chicken breast, but here are a few popular methods:
- Grilling: Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings. Heat a grill to medium-high heat and place the chicken breast on the grill. Cook for 6-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Baking: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings. Place the chicken breast in a baking dish and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Sautéing: Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breast to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Poaching: In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water or stock to a simmer. Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings. Add the chicken breast to the pot and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
It is important to note that cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breast, your desired doneness, and your cooking method. Always check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure it has reached a safe temperature of 165°F.
You can also add different marinades or sauces to the chicken breast to make it more flavorful.
4 oz chicken breast nutrition facts
4 oz of chicken breast (without skin) typically contains the following nutrition facts:
- Calories: 120
- Protein: 25 grams
- Total Fat: 2.5 grams
- Saturated Fat: 0.5 grams
- Cholesterol: 66 milligrams
- Sodium: 74 milligrams
- Total Carbohydrates: 0 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 0 grams
- Sugar: 0 grams
Chicken breast is a lean protein source that is low in fat and calories, making it a popular choice for those looking to maintain a healthy diet. It’s also a good source of essential nutrients such as B vitamins and minerals like phosphorus and selenium.
It’s worth noting that these values can vary depending on the cooking method or if it is skin-on or off.
It’s also important to keep in mind that the chicken breast nutrition facts may vary depending on where it comes from, the feeding and breeding of the chicken, the freshness, and how it is processed.
4 oz chicken breast protein content
Protein is an essential nutrient that is important for building and repairing muscle tissue, maintaining healthy bones, and supporting the immune system. The recommended daily intake of protein for adult men and women is 56 grams and 46 grams, respectively.
4 oz (113 grams) of raw chicken breast is a good source of protein, providing 26 grams of protein per serving. This is equivalent to about 47% of the recommended daily intake for men and 57% for women.
It is important to note that the protein content of chicken breast can vary depending on the specific cut and also the method of cooking. As an example, grilled chicken breast has slightly less protein than baked chicken breast. Also, if a chicken is breaded or fried, it will have more fat and calories than raw chicken breast.
Best way to season 4 oz chicken breast
One way to season a 4 oz chicken breast is to first pat it dry with a paper towel, then sprinkle both sides with salt, pepper, and any other desired herbs or spices. Some options could include garlic powder, paprika, cumin, or Italian seasoning.
Here are some of the ways you can season your chicken breast:
- Salt and pepper: Sprinkling both sides of the chicken breast with salt and pepper is a simple yet effective way to add flavor. Salt enhances the natural flavor of the chicken, and pepper provides a subtle spiciness.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder is a great way to add a strong garlicky flavor to the chicken. It can be used in combination with other seasonings or on its own.
- Paprika: Paprika is a versatile spice that can be used to add a smoky or sweet flavor to the chicken. It can also be used to add red color to the chicken.
- Cumin: Cumin is a popular spice in Middle Eastern and Mexican cuisine, adding a warm and earthy flavor.
- Italian seasoning: This blend of herbs, such as basil, oregano, and thyme, is a great way to add a medley of flavors to the chicken.
- Lemon Juice and herbs: Marinating the chicken in a mixture of lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs such as rosemary, and thyme, can add a lot of flavor to the chicken before cooking.
Note: The best way to season chicken would be to try a few different methods and see which one you prefer. You can also adjust the amount of seasoning to your taste.
How long does it take to bake 4 oz chicken breast at 375 degrees?
Baking time for a 4 oz chicken breast at 375 degrees Fahrenheit will vary depending on the thickness of the breast and whether it is boneless or bone-in. As a general rule, boneless, skinless chicken breasts should be baked for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees.
Bone-in chicken breasts will take slightly longer, around 30-35 minutes. To ensure that the chicken is fully cooked, you can use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The internal temperature should reach 165°F (74°C) before the chicken is safe to eat.
How to grill 4 oz chicken breast
Grilling 4 oz chicken breast is a simple and delicious way to prepare the chicken. Here is a basic recipe for grilling chicken breast:
- 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil or other neutral oil for brushing
- Meat thermometer
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (around 375-400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- While the grill is heating, season the chicken breast with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Brush the chicken breast lightly with oil to prevent sticking.
- Place the chicken breast on the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side or until grill marks appear.
- Flip the chicken breast and continue cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken. It should reach 165°F (74°C) before consumption.
- Remove the chicken breast from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
Note: Cooking time may vary depending on the grill and the thickness of the chicken breast.
It’s always a good idea to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken to ensure that it has reached a safe temperature for consumption.
4 oz chicken breast recipes
Here are a few recipes for 4 oz chicken breast:
Lemon Herb Chicken:
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice, one minced garlic clove, 1 tsp dried thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place 4 oz chicken breast in a dish and pour the marinade over it.
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Baked Parmesan Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a shallow dish, mix together 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup of flour, and 1/4 tsp each of salt and pepper.
- Dip the 4 oz chicken breast in the mixture, coating both sides.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Spicy Grilled Chicken:
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Rub the spice mixture over the 4 oz chicken breast.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat and grill the chicken for about 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken:
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp butter.
- Add 4 oz chicken breast and cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup diced mushrooms, one minced garlic clove, and 1/4 cup heavy cream to the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Place the chicken back in the skillet and spoon the mushroom sauce over it.
How to pan fry 4 oz chicken breast
Cooking a 4 oz chicken breast in a skillet is a quick and easy way to prepare a delicious and healthy meal. All you need is a few basic ingredients and a few simple tools. Here’s what you’ll need to pan-fry a 4 oz chicken breast:
- 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Salt and pepper (or any other seasonings of your choice)
- 1 tbsp oil (such as olive or canola oil)
- Tongs or spatula
- Meat thermometer (optional but recommended)
- Season the chicken breast: Sprinkle both sides of the chicken breast with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings of your choice.
- Heat a skillet: Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of oil, such as olive or canola oil. Let the oil heat up for a minute or two.
- Add the chicken breast: Carefully place the chicken breast in the skillet and let it cook for 3-4 minutes on one side.
- Flip the chicken breast: Use tongs or a spatula to flip the chicken breast over and let it cook for another 3-4 minutes on the other side.
- Check the temperature: To ensure that the chicken breast is cooked through, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. It should reach at least 165°F.
- Remove from skillet: Once the chicken breast is cooked through, remove it from the skillet and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing or serving.
- You can also add some aromatics like garlic or herbs when you add the oil to the skillet.
- If you want to add some flavor to your chicken breast, you can also add some butter to the skillet after you flip the chicken; it will give it a nice golden color and a delicious taste.
4 oz chicken breast vs 6 oz
A 4 oz chicken breast is smaller in weight and size compared to a 6 oz chicken breast. This means that the 6 oz breast will contain more calories and nutrients than the 4 oz breast. Additionally, the 6 oz breast will take longer to cook and may require different cooking methods to ensure it is cooked through properly.
However, both have similarities and differences, which I have outlined below:
- Both are cuts of chicken breast.
- Both can be cooked using various methods such as grilling, baking, and sautéing.
- Both can be seasoned with a variety of spices and herbs.
- Both are good sources of protein.
- The 4 oz chicken breast is smaller in weight and size compared to the 6 oz breast.
- The 6 oz chicken breast contains more calories and nutrients than the 4 oz breast.
- The 6 oz breast will take longer to cook than the 4 oz breast and may require different cooking methods to ensure it is cooked through properly.
- The 6 oz breast will likely be more expensive than the 4 oz breast, as it is larger and contains more meat.
How to tenderize 4 oz chicken breast
Chicken is a versatile and popular protein that can be cooked in a variety of ways. While chicken breast is a lean cut of meat, it can sometimes be tough and difficult to chew. Tenderizing chicken breast before cooking can make it more flavorful and enjoyable to eat.
Below, we will explain the steps and ingredients required to properly tenderize a 4 oz chicken breast, as well as offer some cooking tips to make sure the final dish is delicious.
- 4 oz chicken breast
- Meat mallet or rolling pin
- Lemon juice or vinegar
- Spices or marinade (optional)
- Place the chicken breast on a cutting board and cover it with plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to gently pound the chicken breast until it is an even thickness.
- Sprinkle salt on both sides of the chicken breast, then add lemon juice or vinegar.
- (Optional) Add any desired spices or marinade to the chicken breast.
- Allow the chicken breast to sit for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours, in the refrigerator to allow the flavors to penetrate and the meat to become more tender.
- Cook the chicken breast using your desired cooking method.
Alternatively, you could use a commercial meat tenderizer or marinade with acid ingredients to help break down the fibers, which will make the chicken more tender.
Note: It is important to handle the chicken breast with care while pounding to avoid shredding the meat.
How to calculate 4 oz chicken breast for meal prep
To calculate 4 oz of chicken breast for meal prep, it’s important to first weigh the chicken breast and then portion it out into 4 oz servings.
One way to do this is to use a kitchen scale to weigh the entire chicken breast and then divide it into 4 oz portions. Another way is to use measuring cups, but it’s less accurate.
Here is an example of how to portion 4 oz of chicken breast for meal prep:
- Take a 4 oz chicken breast and place it on a kitchen scale.
- Record the weight of the entire chicken breast.
- Divide the weight of the chicken breast by the number of desired portions (in this case, 4).
- Cut the chicken breast into four equal portions, each weighing approximately 4 oz.
It’s important to note that the weight of the chicken breast can vary depending on the size and shape of the breast, so it’s always best to weigh it to ensure accurate portioning.
Once you have your portions, you can store them in the refrigerator or freezer for meal prep. Also, you can use the above method to calculate the portions of any weight you desire.
How many calories are in 4 oz chicken breast?
A 4 oz serving of boneless, skinless chicken breast contains approximately 120-130 calories. The actual calorie content may vary slightly depending on the method of preparation and the specific type of chicken used.
Chicken breast is a lean cut of meat and is an excellent source of protein. It is also low in fat and cholesterol, making it a healthy choice for those watching their calorie intake.
It is important to note that calories are not the only factor to take into account when planning a healthy diet. Nutrients such as protein, vitamins, and minerals are also important. Chicken breast is a great source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing muscle tissue.
Keep in mind that the way chicken is cooked also affects the calorie content. For example, skin-on chicken breast has more calories than skinless, and fried chicken breast has more calories than baked or grilled chicken breast.
How to store 4 oz chicken breast?
There are a few different ways to store 4 oz chicken breast to ensure that it stays fresh and safe to eat.
- Refrigeration: If you plan to cook the chicken breast within a few days, it can be stored in the refrigerator. Place the chicken breast in a sealed container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. To prevent cross-contamination, make sure to store raw chicken separately from cooked or ready-to-eat foods.
- Freezing: Chicken breast can also be stored in the freezer for up to six months. To freeze chicken breast, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place it in a resealable plastic freezer bag. Label the bag with the date and type of chicken.
- Cooked chicken: If you have cooked chicken breast, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days or in the freezer for up to four months. To store cooked chicken breast, place it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
It’s important to note that when storing chicken breast, it should be cooled to a safe temperature as soon as possible to prevent bacterial growth. And when storing cooked chicken, it should be reheated to a safe temperature of 165F (74C) before consumption.
When you are ready to use the chicken breast, thaw it in the refrigerator or by placing it in a bowl of cold water. Never thaw chicken at room temperature, as it can cause bacteria to grow.
How to marinate 4 oz chicken breast
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Mixing bowl
- Ziplock bag or shallow dish for marinating
- 4 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine olive oil, minced garlic, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in a ziplock bag or shallow dish.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken, making sure each piece is evenly coated.
- Seal the bag or cover the dish, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Once done marinating, remove the chicken from the marinade, discard the remaining marinade, and cook the chicken as desired.
How to shred 4 oz chicken breast for salads or sandwiches
Shredding chicken breast for salads or sandwiches is a quick and easy process that can be done with a couple of tools. Here’s how to do it:
- 2 forks
- Cutting board
- Chef’s knife or sharp kitchen scissors
- Place the cooked and cooled chicken breast on a cutting board.
- Use a chef’s knife or sharp kitchen scissors to slice the chicken breast into thin strips.
- Hold one strip of chicken with a fork in one hand, and use the other fork to shred the chicken by pulling it against the grain.
- Repeat the process with all the strips of chicken or until the chicken is shredded to your desired consistency.
Note: You can also shred chicken breast by using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or by using a hand mixer on low speed.
4 oz chicken breast is a versatile and healthy protein option that can be cooked in a variety of ways. Whether it’s marinating for added flavor or shredding for salads and sandwiches, there are many ways to enjoy 4 oz chicken breast.
It is a great option for meal prepping and is also a great protein source for those who are looking to maintain a healthy diet. With the right tools, ingredients, and steps, 4 oz chicken breast can be a delicious and easy addition to any meal.